Dispensary POS Software

Green Bits is the right long-term solution for us.
When you adopt Green Bits as your dispensary POS in Montana, you gain a partner who has been leading the industry since 2014, guiding the conversation, and delivering the best technology for point of sale, inventory management, and Metrc compliance.
Compliance 101

Since 2014, we’ve helped dispensaries eliminate their compliance and traceability worries. Our suite of compliance products and state reporting tools is second to none in any industry.

Learn more

Frequently Asked Questions

Running a retail cannabis business can be taxing if you don’t know what you’re doing. Any small business requires a level of professionalism, but a cannabis business is unique in that the laws of each state, county, and even city differ across the U.S.

Without a consensus, even a seasoned pro in one state will still have to study up on other states, and even once you get the hang of a state’s laws, they can quickly change at any given election. Here’s everything you need to know about operating a compliant cannabis business in Nevada, and the state’s cannabis laws.

We’ll take particular care to point out differences that may exist in Las Vegas and other areas.

1. Do I need a license to operate?


2. Who manages cannabis licenses in Nevada?

The Nevada Department of Taxation (DoT) is responsible for both recreational and medical licenses as of July 1, 2017. The previous medical marijuana program was run by the Nevada Division of Public and Behavioral Health (DPBH).

3. How do I get a license in Nevada?

There are five retail licenses available in Nevada – Cultivation Facility, Distributor, Product Manufacturing Facility, Testing Facility, and Retail Store. For now, only licensed medical marijuana facilities can apply for recreational licenses, but the DoT may change this in November 2018. Sign up here to be notified when it happens.

Recreational retail license applications are accepted from September 8 at 8am through September 20, 2018 at 5pm.

4. How much does a license cost?

A retail application costs $5,000 application fee for Nevada recreational marijuana. Only cash, cashier’s checks, and money orders are accepted and must be made out to the “Nevada Department of Taxation”. An appointment is necessary for in-person cash payments.

If awarded a license, the fees are: $20,000 for Retail Stores, $30,000 for Cultivation Facility, $15,000 for Distributors, $10,000 for Product Manufacturing, and $15,000 for Testing Facility.

The city of Las Vegas also has a separate licensing process. You must have your state license before applying for a city license. Medical licenses in Las Vegas cost $20,000 for the first 5,000 sq ft for Cultivation, $25,000 for Production, $75,000 and $100 initial gross fee for Dispensary, and $10,000 for Independent Testing Laboratory.

5. Are there annual licensing fees?

All fees listed above are annual fees.

6. What license type do I need to service recreational and medical patients?

A retail license is required to service recreational customers. A dispensary or caregiver license is needed to serve medical patients. Retail licenses are only being issued to medical license holders. There is no difference between medical and recreational products, so medical cards only affect pricing, as stores can sell both.

7. When will licenses be issued?

The state has so far issued 61 adult-use retail store licenses to medical dispensaries. The statewide cap is 132, and distribution is population-based by county. It’s unclear yet when licenses will be opened to the general public.

8. Will I be able to get a retail license if I already have a dispensary?

Yes. In fact, that’s the only way at this time.

9. What local (county level) permissions will I need to operate?

A few cities, like Elko and Fallon, ban cannabis businesses. It’s always best to discuss your potential business venture with local government and authorities.

Cannabis Event Information

1. Do I need a license to host a cannabis event in Nevada?

You may need temporary food permits from the DPBH for edibles. The state leaves this matter up to local governments, and you’ll find a High Times Cannabis Cup regularly hosted in Las Vegas.

2. Do I need a separate premises license for cannabis events?

The location of your cannabis events determines which license you’ll need to pursue. If you’re attending an event like a High Times Cannabis Cup, you’re actually a vendor at that event.

Holding your own offsite events puts you in High Times position where you need to file the proper city and county licenses. Work with the venue to ensure this is completed in a timely manner.

3. Can I get a cannabis event license if I hold a retailer license?

Yes, you can hold more than one license of any type. You can hold events on your premises, host offsite events, or attend offsite events proudly representing your business.

Managing Your Business in Nevada

1. How can I ensure that I remain compliant?

Reading, understanding, and consistently applying Nevada state cannabis regulations is essential. During the application process, your entire organization will be tested on compliance competency.

Also track everything. Record every interaction. Have every dollar, plant, and product tracked from seed to sale. A solid POS that can automatically interface with the state’s tracking system is only the start of what you’ll need to stay compliant.

2. What security measures am I required to take?

Required cannabis business security measures will cost at least $100,000. Video surveillance, security lighting, transportation and waste disposal processes, platforms, and procedures need to be in place from day one.

Cloud video data storage will be a significant cost for startup businesses. Plan ahead for this.

3. Can I package and label cannabis in my retail store?

It’s a funny question, because you’ll be labeling all product that enters and exits your retail store. There are no specific regulations about packaging on premises, but cannabis must be already sealed before transport.

4. Can I sell alcohol or tobacco at my cannabis retail store?

Yes and no. Generally you can’t sell alcohol or tobacco at cannabis dispensaries or cannabis at smoke shops, liquor shops, etc. Terpenes (basically cannabis essential oils) and hemp products have different rules. It’s possible to create cannabis-flavored products that don’t include THC.

Also, tinctures contain alcohol, so even though THC vodka or beer (or even vodka or beer without cannabis) would be passe in Nevada dispensaries, alcohol-based tinctures are allowed.

5. Can I vertically integrate my cannabis businesses?

You can. So long as you meet the requirements, you can house everything in one building. Each license can be obtained and stacked on each other.

6. Can I sample or give product away in store?

Public consumption is not allowed, so you can’t sample in store. However, you can give product away.

7. What are the operating hours for a retail shop?

Your store can be open anytime, and many retail shops in Las Vegas are open 24/7.

8. Can I have public-facing displays on my storefront?

State approval is required for any cannabis-related advertisements.

9. How old does someone need to be to buy cannabis?

18 for medical and 21 for recreational.

10. What is seed-to-sale reporting and what is required of retailers?

Nevada’s system of record for the cannabis industry is Franwell’s Metrc POS platform. Your POS should ultimately report directly to Metrc directly to seamlessly remain compliant.

You’ll need to pay Franwell $40 per month per Metrc license and $0.25 to $0.45 for package and plant tags.

© Green Bits, Inc.